Since the past eight years, the world was worried over the turn of events in Imo State. There were concerns over the near absence of effective institutions and structures for good governance across board. We witnessed, first-hand, the ugly consequences of governing by discretion and the manifest disdain for processes and time-tested tenets of public service. In reaction to the pervading situation then, the good people of Imo State spoke with one voice, when they elected us into government.
2. Since we took over the reins of governance, we have been relentless in our bid to meet the yearnings of our people. We set out to build effective institutions and structures that would deliver the dividends of good governance to our people. Imo State again, is in the news, this time for the right reasons. On this, note, I am glad to welcome you all on board. We have so much confidence in you all. Today, we have taken another major step in our Rebuild Imo Mission.
3. Our task in the Rebuild Imo Agenda includes, to leverage our abundant human capital and natural resources to build a state anchored on good governance, wealth creation, rule of law and sound management of state resources. Accordingly, the various Service Commissions occupy a pivotal position in this enterprise. We have just sworn you in as Chairmen and Members of these four Commissions and an Agency Board.
4. They include:
• Imo State Assembly Service Commission
• Imo State Civil Service Commission, and
• Imo State Local Government Service Commission
• Imo State Law Reform Commission and
• The Imo State Power and Rerul Electrification Agency.
5. For the Service Commisions, the mandates are basically the same. They constitute the apex human resource policy-making bodies for all professional staff of the relevant arms of government: the Executive, Legislature and the third tier of government – the Local Councils. On this score, they superintend over all cases of appointment, promotion, capacity building, discipline and severance of the concerned personnel.
6. To the recently sworn-in Chairmen and Members, you have been called to service at a very crucial time in the life of this administration. A time when we are working to restore the faith of our people in government. If you go around, all you hear is “let us wait and see.” Yes, because they are still reeling in the shock of what befell Imo in the last eight years.
7. Their heart-cry is to have a government that meets their yearnings. One that works for them and not exploit them; that serves them and not lord it over them; and that delivers quality service and not half measures. And our ability to keep faith with the people, would considerable depend on your capacity to transform the various services under your watch. We look forward to a professionalized as well as performance-driven workforce. Indeed, one that is committed to excellent service delivery.
8. You must hit the ground running towards modernizing the service. The personnel would need to be reskilled to develop the capacity for IT compliant service delivery system. Imo State has a high density of diaspora population. We should be able to have a public service that is locally responsive and globally accessible. Our local population should be served right while our sons and daughters in Abuja, Lagos, Tokyo, New York, or Sydney could obtain services real-time by the click of the button. Imo State has the human capacity to be the best. As the most educated State in the Country, we must justify our rating.
9. Human resource, anywhere, anytime, is the most valuable of all resource for any government or enterprise. Whoever has it, has everything. The difference is in having the right leadership to manage, motivate and mobilize them for high performance. We spend about 75 percent of our federally allocated revenues on salaries for our civil servants. We, therefore, expect nothing but the best from you.
10. The various accolades we have won in the brief period of this government present a huge burden upon us all. We hope you would bring value into the Rebuild Imo team, and make us shine more and more unto a more perfect system. We have been painstaking in your selections, bearing in mind your impressive track records and leadership experiences. We sincerely hope you would justify the confidence reposed in you.
11. On this, note, I am glad to welcome you all on board and congratulate you all on your appointments.
12. I wish you a very successful tenure.
13. Thank you and God bless.