THURSDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2019.
As you may recall, during my address to the people of Imo State on my 100days-in-office celebration, I indicated my commitment to tackling the housing deficit in the state. To this effect, we took concrete steps to stengthen the Imo State Housing Corporation, to enable it deliver on this mandate.
2. We mapped out a comprehensive plan of providing affordable housing to both the middle and low income earners in the State. Part of the strategy involved partnership arrangements with primary mortgage institutions such as Federal Mortgage Bank, the Family Homes Funds and other reputable private sector investors. Our target is to provide 5000 affordable homes by the year 2023. In addition, we are planning for a Social Housing Initiative which together would create about 25,000 jobs in the next four years.
3. Here, in Azara-Owalla Emekuku, just 10minutes drive after shoprite in Owerri, our journey to the envisaged 5000 homes has begun. I would like to note that this is a partnership project between the Imo State Housing Corporation and Messrs Silverlake Construction Ltd. The Estate is the Phase 1 of an initial 1000 Housing Units. This Phase involves a collection of 400 Housing Units of various types and sizes, while the next 600 units would commence in due course. The estate, as you can see, is located in a serene environment and would be provided with a good road network and modern utilities.
4. I, therefore, congratulate the Imo State Housing Corporation for the design and implementation of the housing plank of the Rebuild Imo Agenda. I urge the Corporation to carry out effective supervision, insist on quality and not to compromise on standards. I would be coming here on inspections to make sure that we deliver according to specifications and on time.
5. We, therefore, invite interested investors to come to Imo State and invest in the housing sector. I also hope, some of you would subscribe to the houses and become home owners here too.
6. On this note, I thank you all for coming to witness this groundbreaking ceremony.
7. God bless you and Merry Christmas.